Sunday, March 2, 2014

Homemade Laundry Detergent


Homemade Laundry Detergent 


I must admit, I was a bit skeptical that such a small amount of detergent could actually get the laundry clean.  However, with six people in our family, we do TONS of laundry and I always felt like I was spending too much money when I would go to purchase laundry soap at the store.  So, the cost savings alone made it worth it to me to give this a try.   

Currently, I have been using this detergent for six weeks and I couldn't be happier with the results and the money savings! I waited to share this recipe because I wanted to be sure that any detergent I used really cleaned the clothing well (I want my whites to stay white!) and left them smelling fresh before I recommended it to my friends.  

This detergent costs around $25 to make and I was able to find all of the ingredients at my local discount large chain store.  

I believe, if you make and try this detergent, you will, like me, NEVER be willing to purchase it in the store again.   It's easy to make, saves you money & cleans better than any discount brand of detergent I have ever used!  


What You'll Need: 
  • 3 Bars of Fels-Naptha Laundry Bar & Stain Remover
  • 1 Box Oxygen Powered Stain Remover (36 0z) (I used the Dirty Jobs version because it was on sale, but you can use OxiClean (3 lb) if you wish)
  • 1 Box 20 Mule Team Borax (4 lbs 12 oz)
  • 1 Box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (1 lb)
  • 1 Box Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (3 lb 7 oz)
  • 1 Large Container of Purex Crystals (55 oz) or 2 Small Containers of Downy Unstoppable's (19.5 oz) in a Scent that enjoy.
  • 1 Large Container with a Lid (I used a 2.5 gallon bucket)
  • 1 Scoop or Cup to Measure 2 Tablespoons
  • Cheese Grater 
  • Trash Bag (optional for mixing if your container isn't large enough)
  • Rubber Gloves (optional to protect your hands)

First you want to get all of your supplies and ingredients out and place them on a large work surface.  I cleared off my kitchen table, it was the perfect amount of space.  

If you are using gloves, this is a good time to put them on.  I did not use gloves and didn't have any problems, but if your hands are sensitive to soaps, you might want to wear them.  

Unwrap the three bars of Fels-Naptha and grate them finely using your cheese grater.  I used the smallest cut available, just to make the dissolving easier in the wash, but you can do whatever you feel good about.  Place all of the shredded soap in your container or trash bag. 

Next, take all of the rest of ingredients and add them to your container or bag and mix well.  This will be harder than you think to get the ingredients distributed evenly.  Keep turning it over and stirring until it looks even.  

As unbelievable as it seems, TWO TABLESPOONS really does get the laundry clean!  That has been the most impressive part to me!   When I have done extra large loads of really soiled fabrics (like when I wash our dogs towels and bed covers) I use three tablespoons, but otherwise I have purposely stuck to using only two and have not been disappointed.  

We are a family of four children, two adults and two dogs.  I am excited to see how long this batch will last.  Once I run out, I will update this blog with that information, but in 6 weeks of at least 3 loads a day, I can barely see the volume going down.  VERY pleased with this DIY!!!   

If you try this, please come back and leave comments.  I would love to know how it works for you too!  

ENJOY! 






No comments:

Post a Comment