Saturday, April 5, 2014

Mrs. Bean

Mrs. Vera Bean was my neighbor growing up on Brown Log Road in Pacolet, SC, where I lived from the time I was in the first grade though high school and up until I got married. She was a cantankerous lady in her 90's.  My very first job at 12 years old was to go to her house every Saturday morning and iron her dresses.  Dresses she still made by hand.  I was ironing today and thought of her.  When I would finish my ironing I would sit in her living room, sometimes for hours, and listen to stories about times gone by.  Her log home was filled with beautiful oil paintings done by her husband, who had passed away many years before.  She had no children.  

This is a screen shot form Google Maps of the property today.  Looking at this photo, it's strange.  It still feels like home.

Brown Log Road- View from Hwy 9 in Pacolet, SC.  

No comments:

Post a Comment