Saturday, April 5, 2014

The Swallow

Since I got my tattoo a couple of weeks ago, I have been asked, several times, what it means. People want to know why. :)



To sailors, seeing a swallow in the sky was the first sign that they were close to land.  Therefore, swallows represent a sign of a safe return home.  A swallow is also said to represent respect, honor, dignity and trust.  Some also believe that the swallow represents overcoming an obstacle or trouble or surviving some sort of hardship in life.  They also represent strength and power.  The symbolic meaning of this bird was everything I wanted to see and be reminded of instead of looking at my circumstances. 

I strategically placed this tattoo on the inside of my left arm.  When I start dialysis, a fistula (where they join and artery to a vein for dialysis access) will be put in on the top of my left fore arm.  My desire was to be able to turn my arm over & see a sign of my safe return home.  Dialysis is what will make it possible for me to continue to be alive, a part of my children's lives & around to make new memories with my husband, family and friends.  In that way, dialysis is a blessing to me, not a burden.  So, when I am tired and having bad days (and I know those days will come) & feeling sorry for myself, all I have to do is turn my arm over and be reminded.  Sort of an insurance policy to make myself look at the bright side, keep my attitude positive & to never stop believing in healing and miracles.

Beside my swallow is my daddy's signature.  My father, Jack Courtney had PKD, as well.  He was given a kidney, after a couple of years on dialysis, from my Aunt June Mostiler.  My daddy died in 1999, he never really fully recovered from his transplant.  I placed his signature with the swallow because I needed to have him with me.  

So, this tattoo is to remind me of who I am & where I am going.  It a sign that, it is my decision as to how I look at all of this. I choose to be happy, to live & to never give up the fight.  "Weeping may endure for a night, but JOY comes in the morning..."









Tattoo by Rafael at Lucky Dice Tattoo in Spartanburg, SC.


Reference: http://www.tattoou.net/meaning/swallow

No comments:

Post a Comment